Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Why I Appreciate Friendliness


I got the call at 3:30 today, my manager asked me to cover a shift. This is one of the worst situations to be in... Do you...
A) Say no, and risk having a pissed off manager.
or
B) suck it up and say yes, forgoing any plans you already had.
(see any economics text book and look up "opportunity cost" it will change your life)
I ultimately choose B and went into work. I am glad I did. I don't know what it was, maybe the holidays, maybe my new cologne, but every table I had left me between a 25 to 35 percent tip. Not only did I do well monetarily tonight but every customer was friendly, including the man with the six toes. ( I know this face because he felt it necessary to explain his dilemma for 10 minutes while i served his food). Even the customer who had to wait 5 minutes while i slowly walked his filled to the top martini glass to his table every time he ordered a new one (4 times). Friendliness goes a long way in any service industry. Try it out for size, you might like the result.

No comments:

Post a Comment